Saturday, August 20, 2011

An Introduction to My Top 100



For the next however many posts I'll be listing my top 100 movies.  Of course there will be pics, but also links to tropes for every film.  What does this all mean?


On my Top 100:
Most of you know that I've been working on updating my top 100 for more than a year.  I am only about half way through, but I feel like I can offer a temporary top 100 this year.  Of course, all top 100s are temporary, but I have a number of films that I removed from the list (like 2001 and Schindler's List) that I felt I was too far removed from my last viewing to give it a fair rating.

That said, I feel good about this list and wish I could have included more.  There are some canon standards in there, as well as some (like, say, Lilo and Stitch) which might come as a complete shock. I am often surprised myself at what stirs my soul.  I think my next year's list will be more solid, but I'm not holding back.  This is my list and I'll do what I want to.

On Tropes:
 A “trope” is a theme or concept that is used in many forms of media: television, film, comics, web videos, literature, etc.  A trope is really a narrative concept that is used again and again. 

About a week ago, as I was finalizing my top 100, my son forced me to look at the wiki TVTropes.org, all the while warning me how addictive it was. It is a description of thousands of tropes, along with a list of examples across various media.  It was wrong for him to do this to me, and he was right about the addiction.  So I thought I could share the addiction and include it in my top 100.  “How hard could it be” I mused, “to put a trope onto every one of my top 100?”  Well, it’s a week later and after spending most nights on this, I am done.  I am pleased with the result, and at least it’s a different way of doing a list.

The tropes I chose for the films sometimes represent the whole film, or sometimes it is a major part of the film or just a very obvious part.  I hope you have fun with it, but, whatever you do, 
Do not click    on any of    these links!

1 comment:

  1. I really loved your trope addition to the list.

    "I am often surprised myself at what stirs my soul." So true! I sneaked in a few movies that I'm perfectly aware of aren't concidered "masterpieces" among movie fans, but which I have fond memories of for some reason, such as "Can't buy me love." I think those choices are what gives sparkles and personality to our top 100 lists.

    ReplyDelete