Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 30 - Your Favorite Film This Time Last Year



My top 100 changes a lot over time.  I’m trying to watch all my top 100 films, plus others that could make my top 100, and make a definitive list.  But in another five years I’ll have to do it all over again because a top 100 is supposed to be flexible, moldable, especially for a film buff who is still going through his film education.



But my number one hasn’t shifted or moved an inch from the time I first saw Spirited Away.  It was like a revelation of cinema. It touched me as no other film had and, perhaps, never would.  I will get older and I know that my personality will change.  One day, a film will come along that will stun me like Spirited Away did.  But I don’t expect it to be soon.  For me, I have a rating system.  It is from 1-5.  If I give a film a one, then I despised that film.  A two means that I didn’t care for it.  I rarely give ones or twos.  A three means “Meh, it was okay, but don’t expect me to remember the plot next week.” A four means “I really liked this.  Maybe I’ll watch it again, someday.”  A five means that it is one of the finest film experiences I have ever had.  I just want to let you know, however: Only Spirited Away on my rating scale gets a ten.   That’s true love, folks.   The real thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment