Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 7: A Film That Reminds You of Your Past

I was in seventh grade and my life was about to head into turmoil. My neighbors invited me to the movies. Sure, I’d heard of it. No big deal. There’s always a movie being talked about by kids our age. But it was nice of them to invite me, so, sure. As we sat in the packed auditorium, hundreds of other kids were murmuring excitedly, but there was silence as the lights dimmed and went out. There was a blare of horns and the screen suddenly glowed the simple statement:






The introduction rolled across the screen, and we realized that we were in the middle of a history. Then the first ship slowly moved across the screen, slow enough to see just how enormous it is, to see the unbelievable detail. From that moment, I have loved movies. Although my life took a downward turn, and adulthood all too soon reared its stressful head, I could always count on movies to take me out of myself and my situation and to bring me to a new world. Even though the franchise has made some sad turns, every time I see that logo appear at the beginning of a film, I still feel that original childhood excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment